Assistant/Advanced Assistant Professor of Human Resources/Organizational Behavior
Northern Illinois University
Location: DeKalb, Illinois
Salary: Based upon qualifications
Tenure Track or Tenured
Employer will assist with relocation costs.
Internal Number: 29771
The Department of Management in NIU’s College of Business invites applications for an Assistant or advanced Assistant Professor in HR/OB. This is a full-time, tenure-track appointment with flexibility to start in August 2022 or January 2023.
We seek a skilled and enthusiastic teacher in HR/OB who will be able to teach multiple classes in these two areas. We place a strong emphasis upon experiential learning. Engagement with students is a core value of our faculty, college, and university. We take pride in our collegial environment which supports our efforts in teaching, research, and service.
The ideal candidate also demonstrates a clear focus on a scholarly stream(s) and can produce their own research as well as collaborate within and outside of the department and university. We seek a stimulating colleague who values membership in a community of active researchers. Among our 14 Faculty members research interests include abusive supervision, careers, empathy, entrepreneurship (entrepreneurial ecosystems, resourcefulness, social entrepreneurship), hospitality, innovation, leadership, purpose, research methodology, retention, risk taking, service frontlines, strategic HRM, talent management, and teams (team dynamics, top management teams). Faculty have published in some of the most prominent journals in the field, including Academy of Management Journal, Administrative Science Quarterly, Human Resource Management, Journal of Applied Psychology, Journal of Management, Journal of Organizational Behavior, Journal of Vocational Behavior, Organizational Research Methods, Personnel Psychology, and Strategic Management Journal.
The successful candidate will collaborate to support the mission of the department, college, and university, and engage with the business community. With an emphasis upon experiential learning, ethics, innovation, and social impact. NIU’s AACSB accredited College of Business is ranked #78 in the most recent ranking of U.S. Undergraduate Programs and has the third highest minority representation in its student body according to Poets and Quants. The College of Business is also included in Crain’s Chicago Business rankings of Chicago’s Best MBA Programs and the part-time programs have been among the nation’s top 14% according to U.S. News and World Report.
Northern Illinois University is a comprehensive university with about 16,000 students located in DeKalb, Illinois, which is 65 miles west of downtown Chicago. The College of Business also has graduate programs in Chicago, Schaumburg, and Naperville as well as online. The College of Business educates approximately 2,000 undergraduate and 900 graduate students. More information about the college is at http://www.cob.niu.edu
Faculty members support undergraduate programs in leadership and management, human resource management, entrepreneurship and social responsibility, and business administration, as well as a variety of graduate management courses in the M.B.A. programs in the college.
As a participating university with the PhD Project, we support and encourage candidates from historically marginalized communities to apply. We are fully committed to diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging, and seek to enhance these priorities within our students, staff, and faculty. Candidates who are invited to interview with us will be asked to provide a statement on how they address these issues in their teaching and/or research.
Review of applications will begin on May 13, 2022, and the application window will close on May 20, 2022. Questions about the position should be addressed to Department Chair Jon Briscoe (firstname.lastname@example.org).
· Earned doctoral degree in business (from AACSB accredited school), human resource management, organizational behavior, or organizational psychology by start date
· Demonstrated capacity to teach effectively in the areas of HR and OB
· Demonstrated evidence of or potential for scholarly output in peer reviewed business and/or business-relevant applied psychology journals
· Demonstrated ability to be responsive to and contribute effectively to the diverse culture in the department, college, and university
· Doctoral degree in business, human resource management, organizational behavior, or organizational psychology. · Teaching experience in areas of HR and OB · Experiential learning teaching practices · Peer reviewed publications in high impact business and/or business-relevant applied psychology journals · Interdisciplinary skills and perspective in teaching and research · Relevant experience in business · Record of, or potential for, developing relationships with the business community